Monday, September 1, 2008

SPEAK ON IT!!


I was gonna save this story for a song but it's not sitting well with me.

Ok so a couple of days ago I went with a friend to politic with a pretty well known recording artist, (who shall remain nameless.) 
I WAS a big fan of this cat prior to being in the same room with him for more than 5 minutes. 

Here's the visual, picture this: nice studio setting, not too big not too small, 6 guys and 1 girl. me! sitting in the middle of this recording artist and his crew, so in order for them to converse with each other they have to speak over me. I counted this ignorant fool use the word bitch 20 times along with his friends, and then lost track.

 It wasn't the word that bothered me so much, I hear it allllll the time as a female rapper (message!) but it was the manner in which it was used, and the fact that he didn't have enough respect to say "Oh I'm sorry luv, no offense." Yet in his lyrics he's this educated street scholar who has a good head on his shoulders and is sincerely the person he portrays in his songs. One of the next MC's to save hip-hop? NEGRO PLEASE!

I'm saying all this to say, as a black man, with a black mother, have some respect for a black woman.

 

On that note I leave you with this!


Queen Latifah - U N I T Y - Queen Latifah